Jul 31, 2020

Appreciation August Day


An afternoon sunday walk brought me here. The mountain, the view this side of the city, fresh river grass, and the confident seasonal egret. I assume the bird is here for summer and by autumn, he is gone somewhere. Near my residence, there is a long walkway parallel to the stream. This district happens to be near the mountain side already. My former colleague said if I walk down south, it will lead me to the Han river. I still have yet to do it because it will be a longer walk. This place is a 20 minute-walk away from my residence. And If I go back, it will mean another 20 mins, almost an hour's walk with some stop overs.  There is also a bike way, which is quite interesting. My next step is to figure out how to rent a public bike. This may help get me to the river in less time. 



Well, andito na ulit ang ating mga ka tita-han ng Seoul. Lol. Mid-July, nagkaroon ng appointment for national officers. One of my beloved ate atehan called and asked me if I can help her and be her national public relations officer. Medyo hindi ako nakatanggi because I see it as an opportunity to perform my civic duty and siyempre nahiya din ako. Pero medyo kinabahan yata ako sa word 'national' kase pang malakasan sa Korea na ang ganap. During the induction of officers (in this photo), I feel thankful of the trust. And most importantly, I believe in the mission of the organization. 

United Filipinos in Korea (UFILKOR) is one of Korea's biggest membership-based organizations. Ninety (90%) of them are already Koreanized meaning they are Korean citizens. But their love for Philippines has always remained. Kabilang ako sa 10%. Mga activities namin - pa zumba, pa raffle, pa punta punta sa coffeeshop na marami daw guapong barista, pa practice ng sayaw (yung kay Marian Rivera na Chichiquita, kinareer talaga nila yun at sinayaw nila noong Indepence Day celebration, lol), pa sponsor sa mga pa liga ng mga overseas Filipinos ('punta ka sa basketball liga, Paulie, daming guapo doon), set up ng booth kung may international event sa city. Lol. Di ba? 

On a serious note, these titas of Seoul ay isa sa mga official legit takbuhan ng Philippine embassy, tanungan kung ano puwedeng gawin ng mga TNT, takbuhan ng mga gustong magmungkahi patungkol sa employer's issues. And some of them are authorized to transact legally. 

Since my boses naman ako sa grupo, gusto ko tumulong mag organize ng mga mental health and wellness seminars. Gusto ko din tumulong mag organize ng sports festival. Medyo saturated dito ng mga kung ano ano na lang na 'financial seminars' for ofws na para bang yun lang ang importante. Hopefully pag tapos ng covid-19, matuloy na ang mga plano. 



Some ex-colleagues and I went to this bar near Euljiro-district to have our farewell meet up of Hazira, our Malaysian friend. This bar is called the Jerk Room. The butt guy, don't get intimidated, pagpasok mo, you are in an oasis of plants and oversized buddhas and aquarium. It was really nice. Plus the eclectic gay owner who happened to be there goes around with his dog. 

My friend's boyfriend was there as well. We had a long deep talk about 'life's issues'. I do not have a problem to be a bit personal to a stranger (I rarely see him but since I know my friend, that's ok). Magkasing edad lang kami ( so there is some sense of familiarity) and he talked about getting a tattoo in his arm. During the conversation, he was saying that we only have 10 years to make it right (assuming we will reach 50). Because you really cannot do much when you're 50 onwards. And 10 years - and we believe - is really freakin' short.

It was a pensive night for me afterwards. I am not even a young adult. I am an adult. It's like a  make or break phase for me now. 'Everything that you like to do, you need to do it now. This is the best time. If you want to have a family, do it now. If you do not want, then decide what do you want to do.' That's why he wanted to get a tattoo and start engaging in local music business. He is a current university lecturer and a nurse by profession. 

I feel a different level of certainty to this. I feel the dread as well. I feel inspired and it's like you're being given a new lease. This IN YOUR FACE moment is enough reminder. Especially during this pandemic, life is short. Mapa covid man or wala, life is short. 

When you're in midlife, there is a sense of confidence but there is also a sense of 'taning'. It's good to know the spotlight is on you now. Now, on with the show.  

No comments:

Post a Comment