Mar 21, 2020

Can we still hug each other?

Oh well, how do I deal all these things? Never thought 2020 can be this life-altering. Covid 19 has been disrupting everything. I admit at this early 2020, my psychic energy is almost drained. I do not  even know how to replenish it. 

I get distracted by the developing news and dumb people in social media. I know others will say, don't subscribe to news. But I cannot help it. I mean it's also a destressing activity for me to be fair. I have to know and vet information. Para saan pa journalism graduate ako if I don't crave for information. 

* By divine grace, tuloy na tuloy pa rin naman ang pag move-out ko to Seoul. Technically, hindi ako nadelay sa covid 19, nadelay ako sa mga government regulations. By the time that I was ready, kasagsagan naman ng covid 19, una doon sa Korea and as of this writing, dito sa Manila. I do not how long this will last? One part of my mind is telling me, 'there is no sense of urgency, wait until the lockdown is over'. The other part is saying, 'doon ka rin lang naman pupunta, kaya umalis ka na'. 

One thing is for sure. I need to decide. To decide so I can have a reference point and focus. Decide so I can have a peace of mind in this mentally troubling times for me. I decided. By mid-April, I will go out of Manila and start living in Seoul. That if there are no other 'regulations' again. I will take it a step at a time.

* I am thankful that I still do work. And I earn since the start of my contract even I am away from the office. My set up is work from some conducive coffeeshop and now, from home. Sometimes, I get bored and lose focus but God knows, I try hard to at least accomplish step by step. 

* Other than work and the pagliligpit, my mind has been blank in the last few days. I cannot even complete a Netflix show or read few more pages of my unread books. As much as I would like to be 'resilient' on this, I'd rather daydream (?). Parang feeling ko palagi akong nakaantabay. 

* They say this is the best time to update your long-overdue projects - write a new blog entry, watch as many movies, or complete a mini project. Better yet just rest and recharge - remember paubos na ang psychic energy ko. One month is an ample time. Para ka na rin nag retreat or leave of absence Besides, It's only day 6 (I even lose track of days now). 

* I somehow ask why is it easy for people to feel 'fear' other than 'keep the faith'. Kung sabagay, if you are vulnerable and you won't get any income for your family in the next few months because of this virus, it's easy to default yourself to worry and fear. 

But in the developed ones, I think most people would rather keep the faith. They trust their efficient government institutions even they have ever changing leaders. Most of all, they trust the process and they know for sure the government will help them. I feel for those who will lose income and means of livelihood and frontliners who are dealing this outbreak every day.

Yes, I envy, sometimes I wish I were Singaporean, Korean, German, Danish, Dutch, Japanease or Spanish (no, not American). They may not desire to get rich materially but somehow you know their government will help their people be more productive. And for them to be productive, the government will make sure you are healthy and will enable conditions that will be more favorable for everyone - like less traffic, free education among others. 

I cannot help but think what the chief resilience officer from Milan presented to us (in our webinar series), 'we are in transition to a new normal. I do not know what is the new normal now. We have to bring back the trust of our people into our public space (as they fear they do not want to go out again). Can we still perceive we are safe? Can we still hug each other?' 

I still want to keep the faith. We have to be in solidarity with others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment